Chicken nuggets are small pieces of fried or baked chicken snack adorned by kids and grown up all alike. Making chicken nuggets is simple but requires sometime if making in large batches. Just mince chicken, add flavor, cover it with egg and bread crumb and they are ready to fry.
How to make healthy homemade chicken nuggets that can be frozen.
My boys love chicken nuggets as snack and I just can’t see them having frozen crap, we buy from store. And I cannot make it right away when they crave it. So making my own homemade healthy nuggets that I can freeze was natural. The flavors of these homemade chicken nuggets are really mild and so it’s kids friendly too. The flavor of fresh garlic and onion is quite subtle and compliment very well with chicken.
All ingredient are easily available.
Dry chicken with towel and then mince it finely to form a paste in the mixer. Add finely chopped onion (excess juice of onion squeezed and discarded) or onion powder, finely chopped garlic or garlic powder, lemon juice, chicken powder (optional), salt and pepper in chicken. Mix well.
Roll out small balls. We will shape these balls into squares later. Of course, you can make different shapes too. (See notes)I make this recipe so often on the go that making shapes seems tedious.
Whisk eggs, add salt and pepper. Here’s how I shape chicken nuggets. Dip balls in egg then in bread crumbs. As it get relatively firm with coat of egg and bread crumbs, we can easily shape them into squares.
Now, the second dip in egg and bread crumbs. If you plan to fry or bake immediately you can also coat with powdered cornflakes and coat with coconut oil (if baking)to make them more crispy. But as I plan to freeze cornflakes will get soggy by absorbing chicken water.
That’s a large batch so you may cut down the recipe by half to try this for first time. Put these nuggets on flat plate in freezer and freeze for two hours. Then store in zip lock plastic bags or in a air tight container with layers of plastic of butter paper in between.
Recipe of Homemade Frozen Nuggets
Recipe time: 45 minutes Serving: 53 pieces Recipe type: healthy frozen snack
- 3/4 kg boneless chicken
- 2 1/2 tbs onion,finely chopped juice removed
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 2. tsp chicken powder (optional)
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cup bread crumb
- Dry chicken pieces and mince in mixer.
- Add garlic, onions, lemon juice salt and pepper to chicken mince and mix well.
- Whisk eggs, add salt and pepper.Mix well.
- Grease hands with oil and roll out small balls and coat them in egg first and then with bread crumbs.
- Shapes the balls into square with your hands and dip again in egg and then bread crumbs.
- After completing double coating of bread crumbs, put nuggets in freezer for two hours for freezing. Don’t stack , keep separated.
- Once frozen, store plastic zip locks or in a container putting layer of butter paper in between the nuggets.
- For deep frying, throw nuggets directly in hot oil, cook on medium low heat for 4 minutes high medium for another 4 minutes. Do not overcook, that will make the nuggets dry.
- Take out on a kitchen towel and serve with a delicious dip.
- You can substitute chopped onion and garlic with onion and garlic powder.
- For making shapes oil the board and the rolling pin. Roll out flat but thick sheet (more than half cm). Cut out shapes, freeze the. shapes to tighten for 1 hr. Once hard, roll in to bread crumbs and follow rest of the steps.