A vibrant red colored chicken with gravy that can be eaten with rice or roti(bread). Kashmiri mirch, the key ingredients gives it a distinct aroma and color while raisins gives it mildly natural sweet flavor. So the taste sweet and spicy but still it is not like sweetness of sugar. It is very easy 30 minutes chicken recipe with no cutting. I have tried and shared this recipe many times.This recipe call for a special ingredient Kashmiri lal mirch or /Kashmiri red chili which are big, long chilies that gives bright red color to the recipe and has mildly spicy taste. If you have difficulty finding it look in an Indian store or check how to substitute Kashmiri red chilles.
Recipe of Kashmiri lal mirch (Kashmiri red chilli) chicken.
Recipe time:30 mins|Prep time:10 mins|Cooking time:20 mins|Serving: 2-3| Recipe type: non vegeterian, high protien| Cuisine: World
- 400 gm, 1/2 chicken pieces
- 4 to 5 Kashmiri red chilies/ Kashmiri lal mirch (medium size)
- 1/4 cup raisin (kishmish), add more if you like sweet taste
- 2 cloves garlic (medium size)
- 1/4 cup yogurt (dahi)
- 1/2 tsp cumin (zeera)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed (kali rai)
- 1/2 tsp black seeds (kalonji)
- 2 twigs curry leaves (karri patta)
- 3-4 round red chilies (sabut gol mirch)
- 3 tbs oil
- Wash and soak raisins and kashmiri lal mirch a night ahead. (see notes if in a hurry)
- Blend Kashmiri red chilli with garlic, cumin and raisins in mixer to form a very smooth paste.
- In a pot, fry the paste in 2 tbs oil for 1 minute and add the chicken with yogurt. Cover it.
- Cook till the chicken is tender and you have desired consistency of gravy.
- For tarka, heat 1 tbs oil in a pan and add curry leaves, cumin, kalonji and round red chilies, cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add on top of chicken and cover. Chicken is ready.
Serve with roti/nan/rice and salad.
Step by step recipe of Kashmiri lal mirch (Kashmiri red chilli) chicken.
I forgot to add yogurt in photo but you please note it.:) Photos are for full chicken recipe so don’t be misguided while recipe card is for 1/2 chicken.
Soak or boil kashmiri lal mirch and raisin to bring out that vibrant red color.
Blend kashmiri mirch, garlic and cumin together.Add raisin and blend more pulsing occasionaly to form a smooth paste. This will take some time about 5-7 minutes.
Fry the paste with oil in a pan for 1-2 minutes and add chicken.
Add yogurt, and cook till chicken is tender and you have the desired consistency of gravy.
For tarka, heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves, round chillies, mustard seeds and kalonji. Cook for a minute. Now add to the chicken and cover to let the aroma infuse in the chicken very well.
- If soaking ahead is not possible then, boil 2 cups of water, put in kashmiri red chilies and raisin saperately. Keep it covered for two minutes with heat turned off.
- The spice level of this recipe is mild so this recipe is kids-friendly too.
- You can add more Kashmiri lal mirch to make it more spicy.