Hummus bi tahini, is a middle eastern side line that taste heavenly with fresh homemade pita bread. Homemade hummus tastes great with barbecue dishes, as hummus dip with chips and vegetables; and even tastes good with tandoori naan and wheat roti.
This easy homemade hummus recipe is made from scratch and includes
- steps to make Tahini from scratch.
- step to make easy Hummus.
How to make simple and basic hummus from scratch.
A super easy snack that is highly nutritious, healthy and packed with flavors.This is the best homemade hummus recipe.
Author: Mariam Huzaifa
Recipe time:30 min|Prep time: 30|No cooking recipe|Cuisine: Middle East|Course:snack, sideline|Serving : 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cup chickpea, (channa)boiled very soft
- 1/4 cup sesame seed (safeed til)
- 5 tbs olive oil (zaitun ka teel)
- 1/2 tbs garlic paste
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs yogurt (optional)
- a pinch of paprika for garnish
How to make Tahini
- Use good quality sesame seeds or clean them free of dust granules, or other impurities by sieving though a fine sieve.
- Roast sesame seeds in a pan till lightly golden, stirring constantly. Sesame seed burn quickly so roast on medium low heat.
- Blend the sesame seed in a blender into a fine powder.
- Add two tablespoon of olive oil and blend further till it forms a thick paste.
- Tahini for hummus ready. (See notes 1)
How to make hummus
- In a blender add chickpea and make a very smooth paste.
- Now add 2 tablespoon of tahini, lemon juice, yogurt, 2 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and garlic. (See notes 2-3)
- Blend till it forms a smooth paste.
- In a wide bowl or deep plate, put hummus. With the back of spoon press hummus and turn the bowl with other hand in a circular motion to make a well in hummus.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive in hummus well. Garnish with paprika and herbs.
Step by step Hummus bi Tahini recipe:
Steps to make tahini
In a blender, blend sesame seeds into powder. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and blend more to make a paste.Tahini is ready.
Steps to make homemade easy hummus
Blend all into a very smooth paste.
- The tahini made in this recipe is very thick while tahini sauce is thinner with more olive oil. For quick hummus use ready tahini sauce.
- If using ready tahini, add 2 tbs of bottled tahini, use good quality tahini or homemade tahini is better.
- If your boiled chickpea are already salted, then add very little or no salt. For quick hummus use a can of boiled chickpea.
- To boil soft chickpea,
- 3/4 cup raw chickpea will make 1.5 cup boiled chickpea.
- Soak chickpea in warm water for two hours. I used small variety of chickpea. (kabuli chickpea, which are healthier)
- Discard water and boil in new water with 1 tsp of salt or as per taste on medium flame for 30-45 minutes until very soft.
- You can cook in pressure cooker to speed up.
- Dry water of chickpea on high flame completely, while stirring constantly.
Store hummus in fridge in an air tight jar or covered with a cling wrap. Stays good for 4-5 days in fridge.
Like, comment and share to spread the food love, subscribe us.