This is really easy, quick and absolutely tasty recipe of palak tamatar, dry. Palak / spinach is highly nutritious, full of iron and folic acid vegetable. Because children just love potato, this is a children’s favorite too. Have it with roti, plain rice or khichri ( lentil rice), pickles, kachumbar or yogurt. And treat yourself with a hearty saag aloo lunch.
How to make palak tamatar sabzi
Author: Mariam Huzaifa
Try this recipe as it is as you’ll end up polishing your plate.
Recipe time: min|Prep time:7 min|Cooking time:25 min| Cuisine:India, Pakistan, Bangladesh,Nepal, Sri Lanka, punjabi, north Indian| Course: Lunch|Recipe type: vegetarian, vegan, gluten free|Serving: 4-6
- 750 gm spinach leaves with stem
- 250 gm, 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 200 gm, 3-4 medium tomato, chopped or puree
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbs small green chili paste
- 2 medium green, thick slices for garnishing
- 1 tsp ginger paste (adrak)
- 1.5 tbs coriander powder (dhanya powder)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 4 pepper corns ( kali mirch)
- 1 tsp cumin ( sabut zeera)
- 1/2 cup oil or more if you like
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbs butter or cream
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1/2 black mustard seeds ( sabut kali rai)
- 1/2 black seeds (kalonji)
- 1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves ( sukhi meethi)
Steps to make palak tamatar sabji
- Remove stems from spinach leaves (palak), wash spinach in a large vessel and drain water in a colander.
- In a pan fry garlic, on a medium low flame.(30 sec)
- Then add whole spices like cumin, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, black seeds. Let them pop and then add powdered spices, coriander and turmeric.
- Finally wet spices, green chili and ginger paste. Fry well so the flavors are released.
- Add chopped onion and salt. Fry till onions are soft, around 3-4 minutes.
- Now, add tomatoes, cook till tomato soften and color darkens. 2-3 minutes.
- Add dry fenugreek leaves. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes on medium low flame.
- While gravy simmers chop spinach leaves,.
- Add spinach leaves to the gravy too, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cover and cook till potatoes are soft and cooked for 7 minutes.
- Add butter or cream and fry ( bhunna ) till oil release. (2-3 minutes)
- Garnish with green chilles and serve.
Step by Step how to make palak tamatar ki sabzi.
So these are pretty roughly chopped, you can do fine chopping too if you want. Add spinach to gravy, stir , cover and cook till spinach are soft. 3-4 minutes. Meanwhile , skin and cut potatoes in large chunks.
Add potatoes, stir and cover.Cook for 7 minutes or till potatoes are soft.
Garnish with sliced green chilies and serve with yogurt.
- If you are using fresh spinach, blanching or boiling is not required and fresh is best and has most nutrient. You may chop the leaves very finely.
- Always cook fresh spinach and if not possible then you can blanch and freeze spinach. Just chop the thawed spinach and use it in recipe.
- You may add 1/2 red chilli to make it more spicy.
- I often , de skin and puree tomatoes as my kids don’t like skins and bits of tomato. But chopped tomatoes are just fine for the recipe. Here’s how I puree tomato.
Do try this recipe. Hopes it turn out well for you and you like it. Do like and comment to share your review. Subscribe us.