Step by step khurdi recipe with photos.
Khurdi is traditional bohra white soup often served with Qeema ki khichri. The word ‘khur’ means legs bones or ‘payaa’. So khurdi is a soup of trotters of goat or sheep by literal meaning. The main ingredient of khurdi is the broth made of bones and meat both. When this broth is flavored with whole spices meaty smells are subdued. Milk makes the soup more nutritious and gives it a white color. And mint herb further enhaces the flavors. Khurdi can be made with
- Traditional Trotters khurdi: Also add a little meaty bones along with trotters.
- Mutton and bones khurdi: You can use mutton bones with little meat.
- Goat’s head khurdi: It is also called ‘siri’. You can make delicious khurdi with siri and more bones that has bone marrow. For instructions on how to wash and prepare goats head for khurdi, see notes. Brain is not added.
- Chicken neck khurdi: If you don’t like red meat, chicken necks of organic chicken also make very tasty and healthy khurdi.
Whatever option you choose khurdi is very tasty and healthy for kids and patients recovering after bone injury and pregnant women. But people with high cholesterol should limit their intake to small servings or eat chicken khurdi.
My other soup recipes
- Sour cucumber soup
- Coconut corn soup with corn cobs
- Tomato soup (restaurant style)
- Toasted almond soup
How to make Bohra khurdi soup
Author: Mariam Huzaifa
Cuisine: Bohra food recipes|Recipe type: Soup, healthy recipes| Course:lunch , dinner
- 300 gm trotters OR bones of mutton OR chicken necks OR 1 goat’s head (bakre ki siri)
- 2 tbs oil
- 2 tbs plain flour ( maida) or wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp cumin ( zeera)
- 12 black peppers ( kali mirch), crushed
- 3 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon ( dal cheeni)
- 1 tsp green chili paste
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 to 1 & 1/2 cup milk
- 1 and 1/2 liter water
- handful fresh mint leaves , chopped
- Wash bones and meat properly.
- Take bones and meat (chicken, mutton, trotter or siri),salt, green chili paste, ginger garlic paste, 4 pepper corns and onions with 1 and 1/2 litre water in a pot.
- Cook for 2-4 hours covered on medium low flame until meat is cooked. (trotter will take 4-5 hour, mutton 2 hour, chicken 1 hour). You can also pressure cook, although slow cooking tastes best.
- When your broth is ready, in a separate skillet fry 8 peppers, cumins, cloves and cinnamon on medium low heat.
- Add flour and stir constantly.
- Pour the warm broth in the flour few tablespoons at a time and stirring constantly, so no lumps are formed.
- Add the remaining broth too and more water if required.
- Bring it to boil and add milk.
- Adjust salt and mix in mint leaves.
- Let the soup simmer on very low heat for 15 minutes before serving.
Step by step recipe of Bohra khurdi
Put all ingredients in a pot and boil.
Depending upon the ingredient cooking time will vary. When broth is cooked water will be reduced, add more water if required.
Fry the spices.
Add the flour fry more. Add warm broth little by little with contant stirring so no lumps are formed.
Add remaining broth, ring it to boil and then add milk.
Add mint leaves. Chopped or whole is your choice. Adjust salt and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes before serving.
- As we are adding milk in the soup so great care has to be taken that nothing acidic is added khurdi, as the milk can curdle.
- Do not heat khurdi on high flame.
- Do not cover khurdi while heating.
- Salt is often added in the last in this soup.
- Take care that separate spatula is used while serving khurdi.
- How to prepare siri or goat’s head: Separate the brain that we do not need for this recipe. Ask the butcher to cut head into small pieces. Remove everything extra that is fatty and gland like. We want only meaty parts , tongue and bones. Wash the it thoroughly. Then in boiling water blanch seeri for 1 minutes. Remove into cold water and wash again. Use as required in any recipe.