Step by step hara masala paya with photos.
Traditional Bohra cuisine depends on ‘hara masala’ for the heat in any food. Hara masala is a paste of green chilli, ginger and garlic. So these traditional paya / trotter is really simple in which hara masala is used with fresh coriander and black pepper.
The taste is really mild and not spicy. If you are used to Punjabi spicy paya, don’t try this recipe. If you like lightly spiced dishes with emphasized taste of meat, in this case trotter than you’ll like the balance in this dish. This recipe is great for kids. When my kids were very young, I introduced this dish as ‘ghee (bone marrow) ka salan’ and they would love to see a bowl full of bones with bone marrow, which is a delicacy and is considered healthy for kids. The recipe come from my mother in law who in turned got it from her mother in law. Other traditional bohra recipes are Bohra biryani and Qeema Khichri with Khurdi.
How to make hara masala paya:
Author: Mariam Huzaifa
Recipe time:8 hour|Prep time:10 min|Cooking time:6-8 hours| Cuisine:Bohra Food recipes| Course: Breakfast, dinner|Serving: 4-6
- 400 gm trotters of goat (paya)
- 3 tbs oil or ghee
- 250 gm, 2 onions (piyaz) medium, roughly sliced
- 1 tbs green chilli paste( hari mirch)
- 1 tbs ginger garlic paste (lahsun adrak)
- 1/2 tsp cumin (zeera)
- 6-8 freshly grounded black pepper (kali mirch)
- 1 tbs coriander powder
- 1 & 1/2 liter water for slow cooking or 3/4 litre for pressure cooker.
- 3 tbs fresh coriander
- 3 tbs wheat flour
- 2-3 tbs lemon juice
- Fry onions until soft in 2 tbs oil.
- Add all the spices and fry for 1 minute.
- Now, add trotter and fry for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Pour water and cook over night for 8-10 hour on medium low heat. Cover the pot tightly and put some heavy weight on the lid. Alternatively cook in pressure cooker for 35 minutes.
- Mix water as required and wheat flour to make a smooth paste.
- Mix the paste very well in the cooked trotter.
- Fry coriander and black pepper in 1 tbs oil. Add the temper to the trotter.
- Squeeze lemon juce and cook for more 15 minutes and serve with Karak double roti or tandoori roti or naan.
Step by step Hara masala Paya Recipe
Fry roughly sliced onions until soft.
Add spices to the onions and fry for one minute.
Cook for 2-3 three minutes.
Fill pot with water. Cover and cook for 35 minutes in pressure cooker or slow cooking over night.
Mix wheat flour and water.
Add wheat flour mixture to cooked trotter.
Fry coriander and pepper in butter.
Pour tempering over trotter. Squeeze lemon juice and adjust salt and thickness. Remember lemon juice is only to bring out flavor and not to make trotter sour. Cook for 15 minutes on medium flame.
Serve with Karak Double roti or nan. Or make paya roti.