Step by step paya roti recipe with photos.
Paya means ‘trotter’ and roti means ‘flat bread’. Paya roti is a delicious and rustic way of eating Trotter. The tandoori nan is cooked in spiced water and paya are added. You can garnish the mixture with spices and herbs of your choice.
This recipe is also great in utilizing leftover paya. We all are fond of boiled egg so I garnished it with eggs, you can skip eggs if you want. As per thickness of paya gravy decide how much water should be added. Thickness and size of tandoori roti varies, I suggest add less or more roti accordingly. So some ‘andaza’ cooking will help in this recipe.You can also check my hara masala paya recipe.
How make Paya roti with Leftover paya.
Author: Mariam Huzaifa
Recipe time:20 min| Prep time:10 min| Cooking time:10 min |Cuisine: Pakistani, Indian Punjabi, Gujarati, Bohra |Recipe type: non veg, dairy free| Course: main course|Serving: 3
- 4 tandoori naan, medium sized
- 3 cup cooked paya with shorba
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion, medium, sliced (piyaz)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 tbs coriander powder (dhanya powder)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (kali mirch powder)
- 1/2 tsp cumin (sabut zeera)
- 2-3 green chilies, medium, sliced (darmiyani mirchein)
- 1 tbs garlic chopped
- 3 tbs fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2-3 boiled eggs (optional)
- Break roti into bite size pieces and set aside.
- In a pot take oil and fry onions until golden brown, remove onions and dry excess oil on kitchen towel.
- In same pot add cumin, black pepper, coriander and garlic. Fry to crackle for few seconds.
- Pour in water and paya mix well.
- Now add roti and cook until boiling.
- Adjust salt according to taste and mix in green chili slices and lemon juice.
- Garnish with boiled eggs , fresh coriander and fried onions.
Step by step recipe of Paya Roti
Fry onion remove on kitchen towel for garnishing.
Crackle spices on medium flame.
Add water and paya. Mix well.
Add Roti pieces.
The roti soak the delicious soupy gravy. Remember roti will soak more liquid upon cooling. Add lemon juice and green chili slices.
Garnish with coriander, green chili slices, fried onions and boiled eggs.