Step by step recipe of Pakistani Shami kabab with photos
I’m making these for school lunch box. My elder one is a meat lover and needs proper lunch so these and other frozen kababs are handy in the morning for quick lunch preps. They can be used in making buns kabab as tikki for a shami bun kabab. In Pakistan, shami kabab are first to come in mind when thinking of Ramadan recipes.
Usually shami kabobs are dipped in egg and then fried. But as I wanted quick frozen kababs. I have dipped these in egg and coated in bread crumbs. So, I just have to throw frozen kabab in hot oil and crispy shami kabab are ready. I also make amazing seekh kababs on stove top.
How to make Pakistani Shami Kabab
Author: Mariam Huzaifa
Recipe time: 75 min |Cuisine: Pakistani| Recipe type: iftar recipes, ramadan recipes , tea time snack, lunch box recipe for kids, travel food and picnic food recipe| Serving: 25
- 500 gm boneless meat (gosht bagair haddi)
- 250 gm or 1 cup split chickpea, (channa ki dal), soaked
- 2 inch ginger or 1 ½ tbsp ginger paste( adrak)
- 4 garlic cloves or 1 tbsp garlic ( lahsun)
- 6 round red chili or 1 tsp red chilli powder (sabut gol lal mirch)
- 5 clove ( laung)
- 2 inch cinnamon (dal cheeni)
- 1 black cardamom (bari elaichi)
- 1 tbsp corriander powder (dhanya)
- 1 tsp cumin (sabut zeera)
- ½ black pepper (kali mirch)
- ½ tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 tbs chopped green chillies (hari mirch)
- 1 tbs chopped fresh coriander(hara dhanya)
- 1 tbsp chopped mint (pudina)
- 200gm or 1 large onion, chopped (piyaz)
- 2 egg, hard boiled (ubla howa anda)
- 4 eggs (anday)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder ( lal mirch£
- bread crumbs for coating ( toast ka choora)
- oil for frying
- In a pot take meat, split chickpea, ginger , garlic, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, red chilli, cumin, cinnamom, black and green cardamom, cloves and one cup water. Cook for 30 minutes until meat is tender and daal is soft and mushy.
- Burn all the water with constant stirring. This step is important.
- Let the mixture cool. Then in a chopper make a smooth mixture of dal and meat.
- In a large dish take kabab mixture, mint , fresh corriander, green chillies, 2 boiled egg, 1 beaten egg and onion. Mix well.
- Make oblong or disc shaped kabab from the mixture.
- Beat remaining three egg with salt and 1/2 red chilli powder.
- Dip each kabab in egg and then in bread crumbs.
- Fry each kabab in oil until golden brown and serve hot.
- For freezing, Place all kababs separately in tray, freeze them for 2 hours. When kabab are fully frozen. Place them one on top of other in a air tight container and freeze. Fry frozeb kababs directly in hot oil.
Step by step recipe of Shami Kabab.
Take meat, split chickpea, ginger , garlic, salt, red chilli, cinnamom, black and green cardamom, cloves and one cup water.
Also add turmeric, coriander powder and cumin.
Cook until meat is tender and water dries completely. You can burn water or high flame with constant stirring. Daal should be super soft and mushy.
Let the mixture cool then make a paste in chopper.
Add mint , fresh corriander, green chillies, 2 boiled egg, 1 beaten egg and onion.
Make kabab, oblong or disc shaped.
Beat three eggs with salt and 1/2 tsp red chili powder. Dip each Kabab in egg first.
Then with bread crumbs.
Repeat with all kababs. Your shami kabab are ready to freeze or fry.