Step by step recipe of lagan ki seekh with photos.
Here’s an authentic recipe of lagan ki seekh. It’s a super simple recipe and I‘m restraining myself from any variation as I want the original recipe to survive. You can add potatoes or tomatoes but original version is simple. The recipe come from my mother in law and my Dadi also made it like this. Lagan mean, a large round metal tray. Traditionally, the seekh was made in metal tray so it is named lagan ni seekh.
Not only it is easy and simple but it is light and taste just like kabab without any hassle. It is a soul comfort food great on those day when you want to spend little time in kitchen. The pieces set very well, yet they are soft and juicy. Serve it with your favorite chutney or simply ketchup and lemon.
Few variations are adding a layer of 1 very thinly sliced potatoes on the base. Another one is adding 1 tbsp tikka masala in marination which adds both color and additional spice to lagan ki seekh. It’s your dish so make as you please.
How to make Lagan ki seekh
Author: Mariam Huzaifa
Recipe time: 3 hour| Prep time: 20 minutes|Cooking time: 30 minutes| Cuisine: Bohra recipes| Recipe type: Main course|Serving: 8″ x 5″ dish, 6 person
- 500 gm mince meat (keema) of beef, mutton or lamb
- 1 ½ tbsp ginger paste (adrak)
- ½ tbsp garlic paste (lahsun)
- 1 tbsp green chili paste (hari mirch)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (hara dhanya)
- 1 tbsp chopped mint ( pudina)
- 2 tsp red chili powder ( lal mirch)
- ½ tbs coriander powder (dhanya)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp all spice powder (garam masala)
- ½ tsp cumin powder ( zeera)
- salt to taste
- 150 gm, 1 large onion, golden fried (lal piyaz)
- 6 tbsp oil (tel)
- 4 slice of medium bread
- ¼ cup milk or more
- 4 eggs (anday)
- 2 tbs Lemon juice
- julienne cut ginger and chopped coriander for garnish (adrak aur dhanya)
- Ketchup and lemon, for serving
- Wash mince and strain. Remove excess water by pressing mince in the strainer with a large spoon.
- In a bowl take mince meat, ginger, garlic , green chili, mint, fresh coriander, 1 ½ tsp red chili, coriander, turmeric, salt, cumin and all spice powder . Mix well and marinate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven and grease an 8″ x 5″ baking dish.
- In a plate mix bread and milk. Mix well to form a mixture with no lump. Add more milk it required. Set aside.
- Crush fried onion and set aside.
- After two hour add fried onions and bread to the mixture and mix well.
- Now add 1 beaten egg and lemon juice to mince and mix well.
- Spread the mince mixture even in 8′ x 5′ baking dish, the layer of mixture should be of 1.5 inch.
- Beat three egg lightly with ½ red chili powder and salt. Pour a layer of eggs on the mince.
- Heat oil till smoking hot and pour evenly on the eggs. ( You can use same oil you used to fry onions.)
- Place the dish in oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at gas mark 6, 200 C, 400 F on lowest shelf. Do rotate the tray after 15 minutes for even cooking. Lagan ki seekh is ready when eggs are cooked.
- Serve freshly baked with a slice of lemon and ketchup.
Step by step recipe of Lagan ki Seekh
Wash mince meat and remove excess water by pressing with a spoon.
Marinate mince meat with ginger, garlic, green chili paste, fresh coriander, mint, all spice, cumin , coriander, salt, red chili and turmeric.
Mix well cover and marinate for two hours. Or overnight in fridge.
Preheat the oven at 200 C. Mix bread and milk, very well.
Make the mixture smooth so it mixes easily in mince without lumps. But remove any excess milk. Set aside.
Fry onions and save the oil for tarka.
Crush fried onion with hand or in mixer.
Mix onions and bread mixture in marinated mince.
Add 1 beaten egg and lemon juice and mix well again.
Lagan ka qeema is ready to bake.
Grease a dish with oil.
Fill in the qeema mixture.Garnish with fresh coriander and ginger.
Beat three eggs lightly with salt and red chili.
Spread the layer on Qeema
Heat oil until smoking hot in a pot and spread evenly on eggs. The eggs are uncooked, the will bake in oven.
Now bake at 200 C, gas mark 6 for 30 minutes. Lagan ki seekh is ready when eggs are fully cooked.